Tuesday 11 June 2013

Top Ten Beach Reads

I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish which I'm really starting to like! And yes, I will have a real review up this weekend, never fear.

I'd just like to point out the irony that is an Irish person making a beach read list. Yes, we just had a week-long heatwave with temperatures as high as 21 degrees Celsius (that's incredible for Ireland, ok?) but it's certainly over now and LOTS of rain has been predicted for the coming months! I suppose I could indulge in a little wishful thinking and imagine myself on a beach though...

1. Tall Poppies - Louise Bagshawe

This one literally screams 'beach read', to me anyway. And it's not too vapid either, with a gripping plot and twist.

2. How to be Popular - Meg Cabot

Some interesting issues raised here, but all very easy to digest.

3. Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer

Especially the early books in the series, because they're hilarious and not too heavy.

4. Dark Angel - Eden Maguire

This one is excellent, as light paranormals go.

5. Any of the Heartland series - Lauren Brooke

Very easy, but heart-warming. Good for people who like horses.

6. The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

If you don't mind crying on the beach.

7. Airhead - Meg Cabot

Entertaining all round.

8. The Princess Diaries - Meg Cabot

This character has literally nothing to worry about, so she spends all the books making up worries. Can get irritating when you look at it, but fun to read at the time.

9. The Mel Beeby - Agent Angel series - Annie Dalton

Apart from the overuse of the word 'vibes', these are hilarious.

10. Little Women - Brown Watson

This book is gorgeous. I put it at the end because I'm not sure if it qualifies as a beach read*, but it's my all-time favourite classic.

*N.B. To me, a beach read is a book that you can read while being distracted by noisy siblings climbing on you, so it has to be quite simple and easy to get into at a moment's notice. Which means that I don't have many beach reads.



2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love your definition of a beach read! It seems to be different for everyone. I have no idea what mine is because I never make it out to the beach. There are only prairies where I live. Though I would definitely take that to rain almost every day for months!! Eek, I would not do well in Ireland methinks.

    You have three Meg Cabot books on your list - can you believe I've never read a Meg Cabot book before? They definitely sound like fun, easy-going beach reads though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, prairie, how exotic - don't think I've ever seen one! I live two minutes away from the beach but it just rains all the time xD

      Yeah, they're great light reads :)

      Delete

What do you think?